This time surprisingly the first one to get affected was my 3 yr old son. In the day he would be active and by night the temperature would just start going up. His symptoms were very different so our rules too … if the temperature goes up beyond 102 it’ll be crocin time, otherwise cold towel, homoeopathy and my grandmother’s cures. During the day with a temperature of 100 deg, he would be jumping around the house like never before. His body was working very hard to fight the virus, keeping his arms and legs cold.
Can you Quarantine a 3yr old as advised for covid patients? the answer is No, so like a goddess my wife took on this brave challenge and decided to skip her flight to San Francisco and anchored herself besides Jahan. Sometimes I feel it is not medicines but love that cures you. Any sign of weakness and he would cling to her for his next dose of hugs and love. As he showed signs of recovery my wife started showing sign of COVid. Fever, body aches, tiredness and fatigue after running behind a 3 yr old.
Everyone had to start wearing masks in the house, trying to keep it ventilated and letting the sunshine in every corner is what felt right. As Jahan got better he was all over the house, and one thing was sure that no one will be spared. Our kitchen had transformed into an Ayurvedic lab, people were running around like Vanar Sena flying all over to get the herbs Amrita was asking for. Mulethi, powder/sticks, raw turmeric, giloy, ginger, adusa… all spices were being thrown into that boiling pot of water. Thanks to Covid I had lost my sense of smell and taste as I had to gulp it down three times a day.
There were times when you start to feel that with two covid patients in the house for the past one week how come you haven’t got anything… and I felt invincible, or maybe I am being spared to take care of the rest before I ask for that favour in return. So it was time, I had no fever only body ache and still felt I could take it. When you have it then it’s not going anywhere before it takes its full course.
As my symptoms were manageable this is what we did
- Monitoring oxygen by the oximeter every 3-4 hours
- Monitoring body temperatures
- Lots of coconut water all through the day
- Gargles with a pinch of turmeric and salt in lukewarm water 3 times a day
- No bath on the days we had the fever ( remember no smell or taste so it didn’t matter)
- Diet- Breakfast was a mix of 4 fresh fruits – Lunch only coconut water – Dinner one small bowl of Khichdi(rice and lentil with no salt or spice)
- Made sure we didn’t panic- Stopped watching the news and social media content on Covid
- Did not talk on the phone much as that would lead to coughing
- Kept in touch with close ones who showered us with love and care and kept us going
- Most important for us and everyone around – Social distancing- we stayed inside and kept the house clean.
- Gave gratitude to the smallest of good news- weather, fresh fruit, call from a loved one, medicines, everything.
We’ve made it through unlike a lot of people who succumbed to this epidemic. It is still very much here and affecting close ones all around. In all my 39 years of being alive, I’ve never sent a condolence message every day for 10 days in a row to my friends and family for losing someone. All I can say is that take care of people around you, ask them if they need food or any other help they might require and above all stay home and stay safe. I have a second life, a second chance at doing things I’ve always wanted to do. It’s time to live and do what needs to be done.
And here is what I am going to do first- wake early to see the sunrise with my hopes each day. And thank everyone around me for all the love and happiness they shower each day.
"There is one part of us which must die, there is another part which never dies. When a person can identify himself with his undying nature, which is one with God, then he overcomes death. ----------------------------------------Vedas-------------------------------------------------